Jessica Russo Scherr
- Draw a cast shadow to give it a three dimensional quality.
- Make the tone of the "newsprint" different from the white of your page.
- Try to avoid real letters except on the larger captions.
- Include little "rivers of white" running through the text so that they resemble word spacing.
- You may want to include a device that pins down the newspaper such as one or two tacks or pins.
Remember, you are following in the great tradition of William Harnett.
Just about every example is from a former student of mine. Many thanks to them for all of their time and dedication.
How to earn a good grade on your homework
Follow the criteria presented in class and on the website.
Homework assignments will take between 1 and 3 hours to complete.
All homework should be completed in your journal unless specified otherwise (not printer paper).
Fill the A4 Page of your journal.
Include a background when applicable.
Shade using a full range of values using a drawing pencil unless specified otherwise.
©2018 Jessica Russo Scherr text and photographs. All rights reserved. Any reprinting or republishing of the content of this web site requires permission from the author.